Thursday, March 25, 2010

Altered Art Friendship Card and Tag

Pretty Things



        A few years ago I was in a Secret Sister swap on the Cricut board. The goal of the swap was to make and buy items for your special “Secret Sister.” During the course of that swap, I became really close to my partner Lynne. She went above and beyond the requirements. She sent me spirit lifters many times, and just knowing her is a great honor and privileged. Recently, I found out that her mom has been very sick and have had her and the family in my thoughts and prayers. When I was at M’s one day, I picked up a few items that I think (and hope) she will like and be able to use those items. I wanted to include a special homemade card/tag to make the little package special.

I sewed a piece of wallpaper cut to the size of a tag and then did the same with a piece of durable white cardstock. I proceeded to sew the edges together. I found the perfect friendship quote on an online quote site and it reads:

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him. –Ralph Waldo Emerson

I used a Fiskars “Icing on the cake” paper border to add character to the quote. I sewed a vintage piece of lace to the bottom and then glued the quote onto the front of the card/tag. I used 4 brass brads to make sure everything would stay in place. A green feather was included for a more “girly” look. I used a piece of real tan leather for the tie. I found a really pretty prima flower and added that to the bottom of the tag with pewter looking brad. I truly enjoyed making this for her as she is near and dear to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Awe..you are going to make me cry!! I was just peeking on your blog again and the feather caught my eye then as I read it I realize you made that for me...
    Erica..I think I am the lucky one who found a great friend in the swap. You are always so caring and just a great person! You truly have a heart of gold!! Thanks for being a great friend!

    ReplyDelete