Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Patriotic "A Child's Year" Plaque/Picture of Childhood Remembered


Patriotic “A Child’s Year” Plaque/Picture of Childhood Remembered



    A few months ago, I bought a Cricut Cartridge called: A Child’s Year, which had tons of vintage looking silhouettes of children. This is one of my favorite cartridges besides the Disney carts. One day, I was feeling very patriotic and made 2 plaques/pictures to honor those who fight for our freedom. The wooden frame is around 4”x4”, with the center section open for pictures or quotes etc.

     I dug out my cricut machine and started to cut out a 3 inch silhouette of a child driving a small toy car with a flag behind the boy. Second, I glued white cardstock that was cut to size and shape of the frame. Then I used another Cricut Cartridge to cut out the white stars, and the blue stripes. I cut the red part of the plaque by hand. I used craft foam on each of the stars so they would pop. I distressed all the edges of the frame, flag and the boy in the car. In the middle of the “My Hero” frame (normally where a picture would go). I used some blue cardstock and attached it to the back of the frame and used some letters so that it would read: My Hero. I took a black ribbon so that one could hang it on the wall.

     The Second “Americana” Plaque/picture is almost the same, minus the “My Hero” wording. I cut a dark brick red piece of cardstock to size and shape and glued it onto the wooden frame. I then added a mat to frame in the middle. I used some tiny brads to add a vintage feel and then added the words USA. I used a blue fabric with a small piece of cotton batting for dimension. I distressed the frame, car, and mat. The blue cotton was made in the USA so it would complete the red, white, and blue color theme. I attached a metal picture backing to the top of the frame so that it can be hung on the wall.

    These little pieces of art make wonderful party decorations, an Americana themed house, for the military collector, gifts for friends and family, collectors of Americana and many others. These pieces of art will show everyone that you are a patriotic citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment