Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Altered Wooden Wildlife Deer Hunting Ornament

Wooden Wildlife Deer Ornament



              I come from a family of very dedicated and determined hunters, who take their “game” seriously. A few rules of the family are: No wedding during hunting season, Plan on hunting almost every day. I never know what to buy or make for someone that is so passionate about their hobby, sport, collections and others. A few years ago, I started a trend or tradition of making a Christmas ornament for each of my brothers, mom, in-laws and a few friends. I try to cater to their likes.
            Well, I went to Michaels and found these unpainted wooden shapes: oval, square, angel, heart, snowman, and many others. I picked up a dozen of the unpainted oval pieces since they were 6 for $1.00. When I got home, I asked my husband to drill a tiny hole near the top of each piece so that I could run string or ribbon through. I then took out my stamps that had wildlife on it from StampinUp! and my ink. I layered the various colors of ink and images onto the wood, and created a subtle and peaceful looking ornament. On the back, I attached a piece of cream cardstock and signed my name and added a few leaves. I used a water based sealer to seal the ink. These were such a hit with the family that I continue to add to their collection each year and they never know what creature or design they will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment